Now that the 2014/15 school year is history, we want to take a moment to send out a huge THANK YOU!! Thank you to our fantastic staff at West Royalty School! Thank you to our wonderful, supportive parents who go above and beyond to help with our many activities. Many hands make light work and we appreciate all of your efforts! With everyone pitching in, we have had an exceptionally busy and successful year... see for yourself!
2014-15 - The Year in Review
President: Janice Murphy
Vice President: Cathy Nabuurs
Secretary: Shawna MacDonald-Wong
Treasurer: Colleen Henderson
Events / Volunteer Opportunities:
- Meet the Staff Night – September 9th
- Magazine Fundraising Campaign – September 10th – 24th (online until October 19th)
- Green Space - Fall Cleanup of Flower Beds – October 4th
- Walking School Bus – October 8th
- Halloween Dance – October 24th
- New Progress Monitoring Assessment Model (QCIS) – November 26th
- Parent Engagement Session: Coping with Anxiety – December 2nd
- Pancake Breakfast (NEW Initiative in 2014 with MLA Bush Dumville) – December 6th
- Christmas Family – December
- Teacher Appreciation Week – February 9th – 13th (Lunch February 12th)
- Spring into Summer Celebration - May 29th
- Ford Drive One 4 Ur School - June 17th
- Spring Fun Day – June 25th
- Green Space (Spring Cleanup of Flower Beds) – June
- Grade 6 Fundraising – Year Round
- Healthy Snack – Year Round
Meetings were held monthly on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm.
Provincial Meetings Attended:
Leadership Training – October (offered on a one-on-one basis with Shirley Jay)
Semi-Annual Meeting of PEI Home and School Federation – October 21st
Identifying Issues in Education for Action Workshop – January 29th
Annual Meeting of PEI Home and School Federation – April 11th
A resolution was submitted, and passed, at the PEI Home & School Federation Annual General Meeting suggesting that the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development introduce an enrichment program for the core learning areas (Math, Science, Language Arts) at the elementary and junior high levels.
We held a very successful Parent Engagement session on December 2nd, 2014. Our school Guidance Counsellor Wendy Gallant presented an evening information session on Coping with Anxiety. An information package, including a list of community resources, was provided to participants and some excellent books were added to our parent resource library.
Distribution of Funds Raised:
Typically, our Home and School Association has one primary fundraiser, the Magazine Campaign through QSP. The principal provided the executive with a ‘wish list’ of items for consideration, however our resources were limited this year with the number of initiatives we were already supporting with these funds. As a result, the school opted to do its own separate fundraiser as well, by selling coupon books.
External Funding Sources:
As you can see, it's been another busy year at West Royalty School... and we couldn't have done it without you!!
All the best for a relaxing summer! We bid a fond farewell to our families who are moving on. To the rest who will be returning... see you in September!
Your 2014/15 Home and School Executive,
Janice, Cathy, Colleen and Shawna