Are you as happy as we are to see May roll into view?! It is really hard to believe that we are only 2 months away from the end of another school year. Looking outside at snow banks, it hardly seems possible.
Here are a few things to keep in mind from your Home & School Association...
2015 PEI Home & School Federation Annual General Meeting
The 62nd PEI Home & School Federation Annual General Meeting was held on Saturday, April 11th, 2015. West Royalty Elementary had the largest representation at the meeting with 5 votes and 6 people attending so we received a gift card worth $100 to purchase bulbs from Veseys Seeds. These bulbs will be planted in the front garden of the school. For full details, including the Book of Reports and Resolutions, visit the PEI HSF Website at http://peihsf.ca/agm.
2015 School Bus Driver Award
The P.E.I. Home and School Federation will present two School Bus Driver Awards in June 2015. Parents/Guardians/School Staff, through their Home and School Associations, are invited to submit nominations for the 2015 School Bus Driver of the Year Award. Describe why you feel your bus driver deserves to be recognized. You may include support letters from other parents/guardians, school staff members and students in your school. The deadline for submissions is: Friday, May 15, 2015, 4:00 p.m.
Nomination details are on-line at: http://peihsf.ca/bus_driver_award
Spring Fling RE-SCHEDULED to May 29, 2015
Robin Williams once said, Spring is nature’s way of saying, "Let’s party!" So, we are going to do just that! With winter overstaying its welcome, the date for the Spring Fling has been postponed to Friday, May 29th from 5:30 - 7:30 pm. Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate and melt all that snow so we can have a proper celebration of spring, with activities inside and outside the school. This will be a fun community event for the whole family. More details will follow soon but WE NEED YOUR HELP! We are short on volunteers for this event so if you are available and willing to help out, please let us know at email@example.com! THANKS for the support!
We welcome your input... any comments or concerns, please let us know.
Your H&S Executive
Monday, April 20, 2015
Monday, April 13, 2015
As part of the 62nd Annual General Meeting of the PEI Home & School Federation, a Leaders Debate on Education was held on Saturday, April 11th. For those who could not attend, the debate was recorded, and a transcript prepared. These are all available online as follows:
The 11 questions that were posed to all 4 leaders were:
The 11 questions that were posed to all 4 leaders were:
- Do you support the election of school board trustees to the English Language School Board?
- What qualities will you look for in your key leadership positions: the Minister and Deputy Minister of Education?
- We heard this morning about a group in Nova Scotia that includes unions, home & school, schools boards and the department that works collaboratively to develop a unified, cohesive plan for education. Would you commit to establishment of a similar group on PEI?
- The current commitment is to outfit all Island schools with wifi in 4 to 5 years. Is this soon enough?
- How do you propose to address the current inequities across the province with respect to French education?
- This morning the Home and School Federation passed a resolution calling for the establishment of a province-wide school lunch program. Will you commit to working with home and school to move this issue forward?
- The School Act establishes free school privileges for all students. Yet there are an increasing number of student fees, sports fees, and obligations to fundraise. What will you do to return PEI to being a leader in the provision of free, equitable education?
- There are many important services that are offered outside the classroom by professionals: psychologists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists. These services have long waiting lists. How will you address this?
- What is your position on the role of standardized testing in the education system?
- Our classrooms are larger and more complex than they have ever been. The school board tell us “there's no gas left in the tank” for staffing, and teaching positions continue to be cut. Will you commit to returning our schools to adequate staffing to ensure well-resourced, inclusive classrooms?
- Our schools range in size from 60 students to more than 1000. Do your plans include possible school closures in the future?
Many more questions were formulated as part of the morning discussion at the annual meeting. All of these questions are being collated and will be distributed shortly as an aid to inspiring discussion with local candidates. Stay tuned to the PEI Home & School Federation website for updates on those at http://peihsf.ca/.
Thursday, April 9, 2015
The debate, part of the Federation’s 62nd Annual General Meeting, will provide parents, guardians, teachers, administrators and staff with an opportunity to question the leaders on matters related to the public education system.
The debate will be moderated by Marion Murphy, respected former teacher and former P.E.I. Home and School Federation President. Questions will be developed collaboratively by P.E.I. Home and School Federation members as part of the annual meeting.
The public is invited to attend. Seating will be limited.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Mark your calendars for Spring Fling - Saturday, April 25, 2015! This great event will be held at West Royalty School from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. All students must be accompanied by an adult. The cost is $2 per person. Funds will go towards supporting the West Royalty Home and School. There will be bouncy castles, face painting and lots of other fun and games. More information will follow as the date approaches. Please note that tickets will not be sold at the door. Come out and enjoy; we look forward to seeing you there.
The next meeting of the West Royalty Home & School Association is scheduled for Tuesday, April 14th at 6:30 pm in the staff lunch room. Everyone is welcome to attend! For minutes of our previous meetings, visit the Meetings section of our website.
Your Home and School Executive,
Janice, Cathy, Colleen and Shawna